Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mixing in Math

A perfect project for 2 year olds! Salt dough is extremely easy to make and it's non-toxic. I had a bunch of measuring cups Ms. D'Auria let me borrow from the STEM room. There were some large ones as well as a tiny half cup size which were perfect.

I measured out one cup of flour into each of the large cups, and half a cup of salt into the smaller ones. I gave a set of cups plus a large Ziploc baggie to each toddler/parent pair. The girls dumped the flour and salt into the baggie and I added a little water into each of the bags. The girls mashed it and squeezed it and I watched and added more water as needed. If you add too much, just sprinkle more flour in it. SO SIMPLE!


Most of the girls didn't want to touch it in it's gooey phase and let the moms do the work, but were okay once it was more dough like. Once we had the dough formed, the girls flattened it out (I should have had rolling pins!) and then used cookie cutters to cut out shapes. We used small straws to make a hole so we could hang the ornaments later. We put them on the windowsill to dry, and next week we'll paint.





No comments:

Post a Comment